Sunday, November 14, 2010

I need help with buying kitchen material, like pots and pans. What should I get?

I am buying new kitchen stuff for my place and I need to get some pots and pans. I am only willing to pay a reasonable amount and don't want to pay hundreds for a kitchen set. How many pots and pans should I get? What different kinds like a big, medium and small pans or a stir fry pan (do I need a stir fry)? Also, what is the best type of pan that isn't incredibly expensive, stainless steel, non stick (or is there more)? I do cook so I am going to need these pans but I'm not a crazy cook where I need every type of pan possible. Which ones are the basic and are essential?I need help with buying kitchen material, like pots and pans. What should I get?
When you buy a cheap set of pans, you will be using lot more gas/electric/time to cook.



My recommendation is go to Linen's and Things and pick up a complete boxed set of inexpensive pans (that you can afford), but buy a very good 12 in skillet with a lid then start building a collection every holiday or birthday.



Once you start using good cookware -- cooking becomes a pleasure.



Below is a Good Housekeeping site which will help you pick the type of pans you will need.



http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food/pro鈥?/a>



bon appetitI need help with buying kitchen material, like pots and pans. What should I get?
I'm a personal fan of All Clad. It isn't the least expensive, but it isn't the most either. Start with a saucier for anything that a standard ';saucepan'; is needed for, but have the benefit of the gently sloped sides which is terrific for sauces and such. A large pot for pasta, stews, soups, confections, and such. A large skillet for sautees, browning, searing and such. Once you have each of those with lids, you've covered the basic necessities. All Clad won't be going anywhere for a long time, so you can add pieces as you need, or can afford them.

I would also suggest an electric, non-stick skillet over any non-stick frying pan any day.
While it probably varies from person to person, I definitely recommend nonstick pots and pans. As far as brands go, they vary but I have a set of Calphalon Every Essentials from Target that were kind of 'middle of the road' in terms of price and I have been very happy.



As far as what you need, it depends on how much you cook. I suggest getting the following as basics:



10'; skillet

2 qt. sauce pan

5 qt sauce pan



If you cook sauces add a 1 qt sauce pan and if you pan fry meals then get a 12 '; skillet or every day pan which can double as a pan to stir-fry.



Two additional places to buy kitchen items are Linens n' Things or Bed, Bath %26amp; Beyond. They both carry a broad range of brands from the lower price range to the higher price range.



Good luck.
Keep in mind that if you are cooking on a cooktop, as opposed to a gas or electrical burner stove...the quality of the pans will matter. Some do not have good bases and don't make the best contact with surface. Look for 18/10 Stainless steel pots/pans. You can get some great ones for a lot less $ at Homegoods, Marshalls Tj Maxx. Unless you stir fry all the time you don't really need a wok/stirfry pan. A basic collection of saucepans (2 or 3), skillet(s) and a good sized stew/pasta pot are a good start. How many people you are cooking for will make a difference in how many you really need.
you got to ask yourself, what do you use when you cook.

in my kitchen i have two 12 inch frying pans one has a lid.

3 three qrt pots w/ lids, 1 eight qt pot w/lid for chili or stews, 1 slow cooker, a large cookie sheet, 1 cake pan w/ lid, 1 ten inch pie plate, and 2 Muffin pans. i've been cooking for 35 yrs for myself and have cooked at a few restaurants. with what i have i could easily cook for 15-20 people.

you should buy only what you will use and get the best you can afford. buying a set that has stuff you won't use just takes up space, (hate a cluttered kitchen).
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchend鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment