Friday, November 12, 2010

How to use an electric stove?

I'm used to a gas stove, but my new apt comes with electric.



I usually cook in thin stainless steel pots (from India) and non-stick frying pans. My freind said I might have to get copper-bottomed pans and stuff. Is that true or can I use my old stuff?



Also, what about round bottomed pans? Should I get flat ones instead?



And last, what about baking? I have glass cakeware, aluminum cake pans, regular baking sheets, and those foily bread pan things. Are these ok?



Is electric slower, faster, uneven, or anything else I need to know?How to use an electric stove?
Ahhh yes...the same dilemma I faced when I moved out of my house, which had a gas stove (really nice one, too) to the current house I am in, which has an electric stove.



Electric stoves are not the greatest compared to gas ones frankly because it takes a while for the heating element to get hot, and a while for it to cool down after you've reduced the heat, making controlling the temperature slightly difficult. It is a pure fact of physics that metals take a while to absorb and release heat. Which is why a flame from a gas stove is better for controlling the heat because when the knob is turned, the flame is made smaller instantly. This tends to make certain cooking methods, like frying, a little more challenging because you don't have that instant control over how much heat you're getting.



Electric stoves also require flat-bottoms on your pots, simply out of the fact that the cooking surface is shaped that way. You can still use your old stuff--I use a stainless steel pot as well as regular non-stick frying pans on my stove, and for as long as you're careful, you'll be fine and won't burn your food.



Judging by your comment about having pots from India, I'm assuming you're from there, too. I'll be honest, being Asian myself, electric stoves aren't the greatest for cooking our type of food. But with a little experimentation and adaptation, you'll eventually be able to. It just takes a few burnt meals before you get there! Good luck trying stuff out with the stove!How to use an electric stove?
All of these pans you talk of are fine. Everything is exactly the same as a gassss! Just don't put handled pans in the oven. Actually, electric is more consistent and has a more even disbursement of the heat.
Compared to a gas stove, an electric stove heats up a lot slower. But when it's heated up, it stays hotter for longer. The pans you have sound fine. If an open flame on a gas stove isn't going to scorch the bottom, then an electric stove isnt. I don't know how well the round bottom will work, it might heat unevenly. I like cooking with gas better b/c it's easier to regulate to me b/c you just use your sight to control the heat. With an electric stove, all of them are different, so you really just have to use trial and error to figure out what exactly Med. or High means when you're using your burners.
Highly Recommended. I've been using these pans for years and have yet to find anything like this set. I also love the Covered Low Sauce Pot. ';SCANPAN';!!! Go to scanpan.com and they will recomend the best cookware and everything that you need for your electric stove and even if you have a glass top electric stove.
I've had both. I like gas best. The most important thing to remember with an electric stove is when you turn off the burner, it stays hot for a while. Be careful to take a pan off the burner if you want to remove the heat.



It's a harder to judge the heat because you can't see any flame.



It may take some trial and error.



I think you can use the same pans. I didn't switch.



Gas stoves ar a lot easier to clean.
Electric stoves work just fine with stainless steel. I use stainless steel myself. Round-bottom pans, though, don't work too well with electric. The thing you need to remember is that they heat and cool slower than gas and don't shut off immediately like gas, so it will take some adjusting.



As for bakeware, anything that's safe in a gas oven is safe in an electric oven.
anything is fine from a chinese wok to a copper bottom pan or pyrex.

i use all!
Just read the manual
it is faster and safe and also cleaner. buy some tops to put over the gril so no one gets burnt. i am sure your pans are ok.
I've used gas and electric. You can use the same pots and pans. The only major difference to watch out for is- When you turn off an electric stove, it takes a lot longer to cool off. When something is done and needs no more heat, put on a cool burner because that one you're using is going to be hot enough to continue cooking for a few minutes. You'll get the hang of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment