Friday, November 12, 2010

How can I use and care for stainless steel pans with copper bottoms?

When I got married we did not cook much and we registered for a non-stick cookware set. It has been horrible and the non-stick is coming off now. My husband is going to buy me a really nice stainless steel cookware set now with copper bottoms. I have heard the copper helps the food heat more evenly. I do not know how I am supposed to clean this type of cookware. I also have heard some say that food really sticks to the stainless steel, but it can not be that bad if there are so many sets available. I am thinking that the people who say that do not know how to properly use the cookware.How can I use and care for stainless steel pans with copper bottoms?
You are right, these pans do heat very evenly. To prevent sticking, make sure that you don't turn the pans up to high.....it will take you a bit of practice and some burnt food, but you will find where the best temp is for your set of pans. The best way to clean the copper bottoms is with copper cleaner, you can find this at just about any store in the cleaning product department. Clean the pans immediately with the cleaner and dry them well. If you don't, you will end up with water spots and very ugly pans.How can I use and care for stainless steel pans with copper bottoms?
I spray the skillets with oil before heating so stuff doesn't stick. Any mist bottle with any oil you choose even blending sometimes.



Clean the bottoms with scouring powder like comet or SOS pads keeps them looking good.



Mine are over 70 years old and have been used on wood stove, kerosene stove, heating oil stove, campfires, electric stove and propane stove. I have even been known to stick them in the fireplace in winter to make cocoa!!!



Some of the handles are burned off by crazy people, but that doesn't matter too much.



Much love and happiness with your new cookware!!!
I'd think twice about copper-bottom pans, if I were you. They require ALOT of special maintenance and care, to keep them looking nice. If you want a really nice set of cookwear, look at Caphalon...... Why not go to a Williams Sonoma, or Bed,Bath%26amp;Beyond, or Crate %26amp; Barrel, or Linen %26amp; Things and have a knowledgeable salesperson show you several sets of cookwear and explain the differences?
The best way to use and maintain your cookware:

Use wooden laddle, instead of the steel-made or aluminum made. In cleaning, soak it with water first, for some hard stains, then use sponge and dishwashing soap.



That's what I use in cooking (wooden laddle) and in cleaning them. For delicate and important things in the kitchen, I always settle for sponge or cotton in sleaning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment