Friday, November 12, 2010

How can you stop your microwave from going rusty inside?

I bought my daughter and her boyfriend a microwave couple of years ago. They are not the most careful pair and they have very little respect for anything, even if it costs a fourtune, even if they buy it themselves!! The inside has gone extremely rusty, with great dollops of peeling hanging from the roof-yuk!! I can't imagine how they can bear to eat anything cooked in there! I figure that it's the condensation that has caused this and I believe you should mop up any moisture b4 closing the door after use, but they obviously haven't done that.


I'm not finacially well off and although I would like to get them a new microwave I can't see that I can afford one with a stainless steel interior, is there a way to prevent this spoiling to another microwave?


Please don't advice me not to get them another ect ect... I've battled for years %26amp; years with my daughter over her way of thinking ect ect, now that she doesn't live with me I choose to have peace with myself and her by saying nothing.How can you stop your microwave from going rusty inside?
I clean the insides of mine all the time and it's 5 years old and doesn't have any rust. Maybe they need to clean up their act to.How can you stop your microwave from going rusty inside?
Cleaning is good %26amp;obvious advise, but


Microwaves with enamel interior go rusty if you don't leave the door open after cooking %26amp;/or mop up the condensation. I mearly wondered if anyone had a trick to cheat these tasks that I could pass on!

Report Abuse



You(they) could clean it out thoroughly and sand away the rust and spray paint it with an epoxy based paint but for a little more than the cost of a can of paint you(they) could buy a new one for right around $50 +- $20.





If a microwave is wiped out with a damp cloth with a little dish soap at least once a week and especially after a spill you can prevent rusting. When certain things are heated up in the microwave there is steam and moisture condensing on the walls and top and floor of the unit and if that is not wiped away it will eventually start rusting and if that is left to happen on a regular basis you can get a really messy looking oven.
First keep it clean, Second you can't fix a ';paint job'; in a microwave.Third she can buy her own next time, Fourth have your peace and let them handle it.
I have never heard of a microwave that has gone rusty inside. If it is cleaned up really well and still has the rust; i would contact the company that makes it. They can probably help with the problem.
No disrespect, but I'm having a hard time believing that is truly rust in there. Metal causes sparking--actually arcing, that's why we can't put metal pans in the microwave.





My mother's micro had red spots. They were stains from some red sauce that had splattered. Since her eyesight is so poor, she didn't notice and by the time I found it, it was into the oven wall material......a plastic.





Now, my dear love isn't good about wiping out the micro to remove moisture and we actually got mold up in the seams (hang my head in shame). Chlorox took that right out.





Anyway, if you insist is is rest, first start with Bon Ami, it is a scratchless cleanser. If that doesn't work and you feel you have nothing to lose, use ZUD cleanser and maybe one of those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges.
Microwaves should not rust. I would clean out any food debris and then return it to the store. I don't care how old it is they shouldn't rust. I think they will give you a new one. Stick to your guns with the store. Exchange it for one with plastic inside. You know what's even better make your daughter do it.
I would contact the manufacturer and tell them of the problem, this should not happen, also ask them if they also make a micro with plastic insides that will never rudt.


Good Luck
THE METAL PAINT WILL SOMETIME START TO PEEL OFF ON THE INSIDES OF A MICROWAVE AND I BELIEVE IT IS DUE TO THE HEAT. SOME WILL DO IT AND SOME WON'T. THERE USED TO BE A PAINT LABELED FOR THE INSIDE OF MICROWAVES AVAILABLE IN LITTLE DAUBER TOPPED BOTTLES. CAME IN CREAM OR WHITE COLOR AT AN OUTRAGEOUS PRICE FOR WHAT YOU GOT. ANYWAYS, CLEAN UP THE RUST SPOTS AND REPAINT WITH A MATCHING PAINT, ACRYLIC LATEX SPRAY SHOULD WORK FINE I THINK. IF IT DOESN'T IT WILL FALL OFF SO TRY ANOTHER TYPE. I WASN'T AWARE THEY MADE ANY INTERIOR LINERS FOR MICROWAVES OUT OF PLASTIC. I THINK THAT WOULD SURE CREATE SOME PROBLEMS WITH RADIO FREQUENCY RADIATION. LESSEE. IT HAS TO BE NO MORE THAN 5 MICROWATTS PER SQUARE CM TO BE LEGAL TO SELL, AS I RECALL. THAT IS A FEDERAL LAW. SOME STATES ALSO HAVE FURTHER REGULATIONS ABOUT MICROWAVE OVENS.
if there are any spills wipe them up immediately! And if they can't do this then I suggest you don't but them anymore, and when they buy and pay for there own they will read the instructions and take care of it!
wow microwaves and rust, sounds pretty low class, i would say get rid of it and move out of the trailer, live in a tipi and cook over an open fire, like the indians and then you might wonder as you look up into the beatiful starry night.........wow what are these indians whining about, they've got some land and a nice night sky free of smog to look at.........everybody's got some dumb problem to whine about..........
I'm not real knowledgeable on the new microwaves, but I've never heard of one rusting or one that's stainless steel in the inside. Microwaves and metal don't get along, it's like mixing oil and water, it just don't work.


Could the ';rust'; actually be food buildup that's growing weird things? I tend to believe that above the 'rust' and a good scrubbing should take care of that. Try scrubbing it and see if that isn't the problem. But only if you want to put forth the time and effort.


And far be it from me to tell you to buy them another. If they don't take care of what you have so kindly bought them why would you want to put out more just to see it trashed? I wouldn't. And I don't. My daughter is just about the same way, and I don't replace anything she and her hubby tear up regardless of if I bought it for them or not.


The only exception to this might be her car, which is also mine. I wouldn't replace it, but if they start tearing it, I'll jerk it right out from under their azzes in a heartbeat if not faster.
Maybe its time for them to buy there own microwave, If they pay for it them self maybe they'll realize they better take care of it , or they can't afford another one. You could also tell her to try and clean it with vinegar and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment