Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I prevent rust and keep stuff from sticking to the cast iron grates on my new stove? Seasoning?

I just bought a new stainless steel frigidaire gas range. It has cast iron grates and a cast iron griddle that fits over the center burner. I have read a lot about seasoning cast iron cookware and BBQ grates so I'm pretty sure I should season the griddle. However, I'm not sure about the grates themselves. From my reading it sounds like some people have a problem with the grates rusting on the bottom and causing the stovetop to discolor. Frigidaire's website even has an FAQ about the bottom of the grates rusting. Their solution is to rub vegetable oil on the bottom of the grates after cleaning before putting them back on the stove. However, I read somewhere else that seasoning with vegetable oil can make stuff sticky. I'm worried not only about rust on the bottom of the grates but also about food sticking to the tops. Obviously I wouldn't be cooking on the grates but I have to admit I'm a bit of a messy cook and my teenager is even worse about sloshing things out of a pan. Any thoughts on the best way to prepare my grates before use and how I should care for them over the long term? I think the grates have some kind of seal or coating everywhere but the bottom but I'm not sure. I don't think they are porcelain coated because they have a natural grey look and an uncoated feel. Thanks!How can I prevent rust and keep stuff from sticking to the cast iron grates on my new stove? Seasoning?
What you need is some Fat Back (side pork) or Salt Pork, I would wear some good heavy gloves and heat the grates on the burner and rub that fat back all over and heat it on low heat and let it cool, then heat it again and rub it down again, when ever you clean your grate from now on, use the fat back to keep them from rusting, and remember when you wash the with dish soap, you are removing to seasoning. Another thing you might try is to Blue them, You will need some bluing from a sporting goods store in the gun cleaning area. this you can do in the oven, You wipe on the bluing and then heat it in the oven foe 15-20 min, and repeat as many times as you like until you get what you are looking for, I doesn't cost must and you can wash them off easier too.

No comments:

Post a Comment