Friday, November 12, 2010

How do you properly season cast iorn cook ware?

I have switched from teflon and aluminum cook ware to cast iorn and stainless steel due to the health concerns of both aluminum and teflon. I seasoned the skillets once and they remained non-stick until the wife washed them in soapy water with an sos pad. I always wiped clean with paper towel or boiled water in the skillet for more stubborn stains. Because of my wife's method, the seasoning is gone and they stick.How do you properly season cast iorn cook ware?
Randy,



Once the skillet has lost it's seasoning, it's hard to get it back. After handwashing and completely drying on a hot electic stove eye, I wipe down with vegatable oil and actually leave a slight coating of the oil on the skillet while stored.How do you properly season cast iorn cook ware?
My husband bought me an iron skillet a couple of years ago for our anniversary and I ruined it. But I did not know I could fix it so I through it out. I was washing it in lots of soap and water and even bleach as I do will all of my dishes for sanitary reason's.

Report Abuse


But I did my research to take care of the next set I bought myself and the new one my husband bought me again for our anniversary. I bought a set of virgin iron skillets that were not all seasoned...fresh iron.

Report Abuse


I learn to take paper towel and dip in lard and wipe the whole skillet down lightly coated and stick it it into a cold oven (or outside grill) and heat it at 400 degrees. Any cooler temperature will make the skillets stickey especially if you have too much lard on it.

Report Abuse


Leave for 1 to 2 hours and turn on your ventallation system because it will get pretty smokey and smelly. After that turn off oven and leave them in to cool off.

Report Abuse


When cooled off take out of oven and wipe out any extra oil left, then put paper towel in them or a light coat of lard and stick them back into the cold oven or another dry pace to keep them from absorbing moisture.

Report Abuse


When you use it the next time, to clean it just boil hot water almost to the top of skillet and then use the hot boiled water to clean it. dry it off with paper towel, wiping off any extra water to keep skillet from rusting. Then start over to step one seasoning in 400 oven. Good luck!

Report Abuse


use oil in that !
You have seasoned the cookware properly.Perhaps it's time to just buy a new pan.
I am not completely sure but I have heard many times that washing a cast iron skillet with soap and water ruins it.
Smear with lard or shortening and salt

Put in 400 degree oven and bake till smoking hot

15-20 minutes

Wipe out with a paper towel and then re-apply shortening with another paper towel

Works for the army and me too
You don't want to use sos pads if you can help it, due to rusting. I also use cast iron pans, never leave your food in them for a long period of time, never let them soak, wash immediatly after use, dry well and apply vegteble oil to them when putting them up, when you use again just wipe excess oil out w/ a papertowel, Good luck, they are too expensive to abuse. PHB
NO SOS PADS OR SOAPY WATER! That is your problem! Usually you just wipe clean with cloth, for those harder stains use a metal spatula to scrape off, use hot water and soak for no more than a half an hour (more you will rust). BUT UNDER ALL CIRUMSTANCES YOU WILL RUIN CAST IRON USING DETERGENT AND AN ABRASIVE PAD!
Get it really hot on the stove top, shut off the heat and pour 1/4 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil in the pan and rub it around and in with a paper towel, folded over so you do not burn your fingers. wipe out excess oil. You can use canola oil too, or whatever oil you typically use. Just like you, when I wash mine, I just use hot water and a light scrub. I always stick them back on a burner or in a hot oven to dry and add a teaspoon of oil and re-season it. It's going to take you a while to re-season it. Leave it in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes every time you use the oven, just reapply a coating of oil and stick it in.



If you deglaze the pan every time you use it ( for example while it's still hot, add water to it and stir it around with a wire whisk and let it boil for a moment or two) you aren't giving it an opportunity to sit and cake on when you are eating dinner and before you get back to doing the dishes. That will stop her from wanting to scrub the heck out of it.



I have about 6 assorted sized cast iron skillets and several antique corn bread ones. I have one my grandma gave me, it's about 100 years old. My son scrubbed it with steel wool.... I was tempted to throw it out! Took me almost a year or so to get it usable again. Bless his heart!
Never, ever wash a cast iron pan with soap. This sounds nuts, but trust me, it works like nothing else. You need to fill the pan 1/4 inch from the top with oil. Turn on the oven to 350. Put the pan in the oven and let both the pan of oil and the oven heat up together. Watch it constantly. When the oil is heated, remove pan, drain oil. The idea is to heat the iron to open the pores and soak up the oil. After that, wipe with paper towel and you're good to go. (and hide the sos pads!)
Rub oil on the bottom and sides of the pan and put it in the oven. You will have to do this several times.
cook fat back meat in it
  • skin whiteners bleach creams
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment