Friday, November 12, 2010

How do I cook bacon with an electric stove and a cast iron pan?

I know how to cook bacon. I've been doing it for years with a gas stove and a waterless-cookware stainless steel pan.



However, my cooking implements have changed and I keep not cooking it right. Usually the middle is burnt and the edges are floppy. What am I doing wrong?How do I cook bacon with an electric stove and a cast iron pan?
For me electric stoves are a tricky thing. But one suggestion might be to cook over low medium to medium heat. Cast iron heats up and holds the heat so it can burn food if you are not careful. Try cutting the bacon in half this is what I do. Plus I also have a bacon press which holds the bacon down. It helps to cook more evenly.

Have you ever tried baking it in the oven? I really like oven baked bacon.

To add taste you can sprinkle a little black pepper on it when frying.

If in the oven just before you take it out you can sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over it. Put it back in just long enough for it to melt. Just be careful that it doesn't burn.

Remember each stove is a bit different so you need to also get to know your oven.

Good luck and happy bacon eating.How do I cook bacon with an electric stove and a cast iron pan?
I use a cast iron pan on an electric stove and it's somewhat tricky. You have to adjust the heat. First, you have to fire it up to high and let it sit for a bit. Then, turn it to medium and start cooking. If you notice the edges aren't crisping, use a spatula to press down. I had that trouble because the middle of the pan has the most heat and the edges weren't warmed up. That's why I say turn it on high, then turn it down.
The best way too cook bacon is in the oven. Put on a cookie sheet and cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (can't give an exact time because bacon varies so much from different producers.)

Once you do this once you will never cook bacon on the stove again. It's much cleaner and more consistent.
Sounds like your pan is too big, try a smaller one. I find that cooking bacon on a lower setting keeps the bacon straighter and also stop that grease popping out and burning your arms.



When your first batch is cooked and before you cook more, empty all the grease out of the pan. If you leave the grease in, it will be too hot and will burn your bacon fast.



Good luck!
I usually cook mine in a nonstick pan on med to med-low heat (i preheat my oven to 250) then once the bacon is pretty well cooked i put it in the oven for a few minutes usually while i am cooking more bacon and then i have perfect evenly cooked bacon.
try putting the bacon on a cookie sheet and cook it in the oven
try cutting it in half or broil it instead

No comments:

Post a Comment