Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I slice brisket without shredding it?

After I cook a brisket (in the oven, with onions, broth, wine, and other good stuff) I let it cool in the juices, then slice against the grain. I've tried lots of knives - chef's, carving, serrated - and the brisket always tends to shred. My guess is that my knives aren't sharp enough...they are various brands, (Farberware, Wilkinson, etc.) mostly stainless (maybe that's the problem?) and I sharpen them with a sharpening steel.

Any advice?How can I slice brisket without shredding it?
I have always used restaurant slicers...

and one thing:

Dont overcook the brisket,

or all you'll get it shredded Beef!How can I slice brisket without shredding it?
Hmmm. I've been making brisket for years. I usually take it from the oven and slice it right away. Sharp serrated knife, against the grain. Never had a shredding problem. Could it be overcooked? Try an electric knife if you have one. Might also be that you aren't applying enough pressure on the knife and holding the meat steady enough. If you are sawing it too much the knife is tearing at the meat rather than slicing through it.
Cut it thicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment